You buy life insurance so your family is protected financially. But what about the flip side: The people who are getting you that financial protection.
No matter what life insurance company you choose, you won't get very far without the people who work to put your policy in force. So which life insurance company has the most satisfied employees? We looked at some Glassdoor reviews — straight from employees themselves — to find out.
What's in a Glassdoor review?
Glassdoor is a job search site that also lets employees, former employees and potential employees rate the company, their sentiment toward it and even the interview process. If you're a jobhunter, this is invaluable information.
But if you're a customer, it's just as valuable. There are obviously other factors involved, but seeing how engaged employees are and how highly they approve of their CEO is a good way to gauge a company's trajectory. For example, you can use Policygenius' reviews on Glassdoor to supplement customer reviews of Policygenius on Trustpilot, and be pretty confident in your choice of insurance broker.
To find the companies with the happiest employees, we looked at a few metrics from Glassdoor, all rated out of 100%:
- Satisfaction, consisting of culture and values, work-life balance, senior management, compensation and benefits and career opportunities
- How likely they are to recommend working at the company to a friend
- Their approval of the company CEO
- How positive their business outlook is
- An overall happiness rating, based on an average of the above
Taken together, these measurements give a pretty good look at how happy employees are.
The best life insurance companies...according to their employees
We chose 12 of the biggest life insurance companies in America that Policygenius works with (SBLI is not included since it only had two reviews as of press time).
Brighthouse comes out on top on the back of high CEO approval and likelihood to recommend it to a friend. But most life insurance companies have an overall rating above 60%, and there are multiple companies with 100% CEO confidence. That should give you peace of mind you're in good hands. The people working for the companies protecting you generally have faith in them.
What you should look for in a life insurance company
Employee happiness is great, but what else should you account for when deciding if a life insurance company is right for you?
- Financial ratings. Firms like A.M. Best, Fitch Ratings, Moody's, Standard & Poor's and Weiss Ratings all look at how finanically stable a company is. It's especially important for life insurance shoppers, because you want to be confident the company will be around for decades.
- Affordability. Life insurance doesn't do you much good if you can't afford it. Finding the lowest rates isn't your only priority, but ranks near the top of the list.
- Customer service. The Better Business Bureau, J.D. Power and Trustpilot are great places to see what positive or negative things customers have to say about companies. Plus, you can look at our life insurance company reviews to see how easy it is to work with certain companies, how fast the applications process and more.
- Health conditions. Not every life insurance copmany treats health conditions and histories the same. See our list of the best life insurance companies to find one that's most accommodating to your health situation.
Disclosure: Policygenius offers insurance policies from many of the nation's top insurers, who pay us a commission for our services. However, all editorial choices are made independently.