What is loss of use coverage?

Loss of use coverage may reimburse you for additional living expenses while your home is repaired or rebuilt. It may also reimburse you for lost rental income.

Pat Howard 1600

Pat Howard

Published January 11, 2019

Homeowners insurance is protection for your home and personal property against certain hazards covered by your policy. Your insurance policy may also cover your living expenses if your home is damaged by covered hazards and you’re forced to live somewhere else in the meantime.

Also known as loss of use coverage or additional living expenses (ALE) or Coverage D in your home insurance policy, this coverage is a part of every standard policy and helps you pay for everything from fuel expenses to groceries and hotel bills while your home is being repaired or rebuilt. If you rent out your property, loss of use coverage may also help you recover lost rent if a covered loss requires your tenants to live elsewhere. If the government prohibits you or your tenants from using the insured property, that may also be covered.

If you anticipate that you’ll be gone for an extended period of time, you’ll want to hold onto receipts for covered expenses while on the road. You’ll need those when you submit a loss of use claim to reimburse you for the unexpected turn of events.


How does loss of use coverage work?

Your loss of use coverage limit is typically about 20% to 30% of your home’s insured value, or your dwelling amount. That means if your home is insured for $400,000, your additional living expenses coverage will typically be anywhere from $80,000 to $120,000. If you happen to exceed your loss of use coverage limit and you still have additional living expenses, you may need to pay for those out of pocket.

Some premier insurers, like Chubb and AIG, offer unlimited loss of use coverage in standard policies to policyholders, meaning there’s no limit to how much they’ll reimburse you for reasonable expenses while your home is being rebuilt. However, most insurers will only cover you up to the 20% to 30% limit, the amount of which can be found on your policy’s declarations page, where it may be labeled “Coverage D”.

Just like the other coverages in your policy, in order to use your loss of use coverage, the damage that caused you to flee your home must be covered by your policy. If your home was overtaken by a hoard of cockroaches, for example, and you were forced to live in a hotel for a month during extermination, your homeowner’s insurance wouldn’t pick up the tab for the hotel or the extermination, as pests typically aren’t covered by your policy.

Check out our helpful coverage guide to see what perils you may or may not be protected against.

Do I have to pay a deductible for loss of use coverage?

It depends on your insurer and the kind of policy you have, but your deductible is generally waived for covered loss of use claims. However, you’ll still have to pay a deductible for the dwelling or personal property parts of your claim.


Get the right advice, right here.

No sweaty sales pitches. Just unbiased advice from licensed experts.

What does loss of use cover?

Loss of use coverage protects you in three different ways: it covers any increases in living expenses while your home is being rebuilt or restored, it reimburses you for lost rental income, and it may also reimburse you for lost rental income or additional living expenses if a local authority prohibits you or your tenants from returning to your property.

Additional living expenses

If you’re forced to leave your home and live elsewhere for an extended period of time, your living expenses are going to be higher than they were before your house burnt down. For example, you may normally spend $300 a month on groceries, but being posted up in a Residence Inn for three months has made it so you’re now dropping about $400 a month dining out.

With loss of use coverage, your insurer reimburses you for the difference between your “normal living expenses” and your monthly spend while away; in the above example your insurer would owe you $100 in additional food expenses and whatever your hotel expenses amounted to.

But additional living expenses doesn’t mean that you can go wild and expect to get reimbursed for every last purchase. Many policies have strict limitations over what they’ll pay for, and it often boils down to whether or not the expense was “necessary.”

Furthermore, your insurer may impose a dollar limit on specific “necessary” expenses, like lodging, for example. Your claims representative will likely give you hospitality resources and point your toward more appropriate living accommodations, like a reasonably-priced rental unit.

Expenses you can generally expect your insurance company to reimburse you for may include, but aren’t limited to:

  • Hotel expenses
  • Paying rent for a temporary apartment
  • Additional fuel or mileage expenses
  • Additional food expenses
  • Renting a car
  • Public transportation
  • Clothing expenses
  • Storage unit bills
  • Parking costs
  • Boarding your pet

Fair rental value

If you’re a landlord and you’re no longer able to collect rent because your property was destroyed, many insurers will reimburse you for lost rental income for up to 12 months after the covered loss took place.

Prohibited use

This is a section of your loss of use coverage that covers both your additional living expenses and fair rental value reimbursements for a certain number of days if a local authority or a physical impediment prevents you or your tenants from accessing your property.

Say, for example, that your neighborhood was recently ravaged by a tornado. Maybe your home wasn’t damaged, but the roads, the area surrounding your home, and utility poles nearby your home are still hazardous.

Not only may the local government forbid you from returning to your home, but even if they didn’t, you may still not want to return until everything gets cleaned up and back to normal. If that’s the case and you need to be away for up to 30 days, be sure to file a prohibited use claim under the loss of use section of your policy.

How to get reimbursed for additional living expenses

If you plan on filing a loss of use claim, be sure that you’re holding onto all receipts that can be considered “reasonable life expenses.” In order for your insurance company to corroborate your expenses and send you a check, you need proof of what you’re claiming.

Your reimbursement check is typically sent to you after you’ve already made your expenses. There are some extenuating circumstances, like if you’re short on cash or if your necessary expense requires a large sum of money, where your insurer may provide you with a loss of use check up front. But you’ll generally be paid on a monthly basis for the previous month’s expenses.

To submit a loss of use claim, you have a few options:

  • You can contact your homeowners insurance agent directly
  • Go to the claims section of your carrier website
  • Call your insurance company’s customer claims department

You’ll be instructed to fill out a form where you detail your “normal living expenses”; the amount you typically pay for gas, food, rent and any other applicable expenses every month. Whatever those expenses total out to is the amount that’s subtracted from whatever additional living expenses you incur on a monthly basis.

If your normal monthly expenditures on necessities was $1,500, but you spent $2,000 last month while your home was being rebuilt, your insurer may send you a $500 check.

If you’re claiming lost rental income because of covered property damage, the process is a little different. You’ll want to provide your agent or claims representative with all forms – bank information, lease agreements, tax forms – proving that the damaged property was a source of income. Similar to additional living expenses, your insurance company may send you a monthly fair rental value check to tide you over while your property is being rebuilt.

About the author

Insurance Expert

Pat Howard

Insurance Expert

Pat Howard is an Insurance Editor at Policygenius in New York City, specializing in homeowners insurance. He has been featured on Property Casualty 360, MSN, and more. Pat has a B.A. in journalism from Michigan State University.

Policygenius’ editorial content is not written by an insurance agent. It’s intended for informational purposes and should not be considered legal or financial advice. Consult a professional to learn what financial products are right for you.

Was this article helpful?