What is an HO-7 insurance policy?

An HO-7 policy is the type of homeowners insurance that you need if you own a mobile home. It includes coverage for your mobile home, personal property, and liability.

Headshot of Kara McGinley


Kara McGinleySenior Editor & Licensed Home Insurance ExpertKara McGinley is a former senior editor and licensed home insurance expert at Policygenius, where she specialized in homeowners and renters insurance. As a journalist and as an insurance expert, her work and insights have been featured in Forbes Advisor, Kiplinger, Lifehacker, MSN, WRAL.com, and elsewhere.

Published|3 min read

Policygenius content follows strict guidelines for editorial accuracy and integrity. Learn about our editorial standards and how we make money.

An HO-7 policy is a type of homeowners insurance designed for people who own mobile or factory-manufactured homes. Similar to a standard homeowners insurance policy, HO-7 insurance protects the structure of your mobile home and your personal property from perils like fire, burglary, and weather-related damage. 

An HO-7 policy also includes liability coverage in the event you are found responsible for property damage or bodily injury, like if a guest is hurt while visiting your home. If your mobile or manufactured home becomes uninhabitable due to a covered loss, HO-7 insurance can help pay for additional living expenses while you temporarily stay elsewhere.

Key takeaways

  • An HO-7 policy is a form of homeowners insurance coverage designed for mobile or manufactured homes

  • Like a standard homeowners policy, HO-7 policies contain coverage for the structure of your mobile home, personal belongings, and liability

  • You should add additional coverage to your HO-7 policy if you use your mobile home as a vacation residence or rent it out

What does an HO-7 policy cover?

HO-7 insurance, also called mobile or manufactured home insurance, is financial protection for your mobile home. Like a standard homeowners insurance policy, HO-7 insurance contains different types of coverage and each type has its own coverage limit, meaning the maximum amount an insurance company will pay out for a covered loss.

Dwelling coverage is the core component of your HO-7 policy, and you should buy enough dwelling insurance to cover the replacement cost value value of your mobile home. That means that if your mobile home is totally destroyed in a fire, for example, the coverage would be enough to completely replace it.

Below is a look at the standard coverage components of an HO-7 policy:


What does it cover?

Dwelling coverage

Protects the structure of the mobile home, including the walls, base, and roof

Mobile home extensions

Also called other structures coverage, protects additional structures associated with the mobile home, like a porch

Personal property coverage

Coverage for your belongings, whether they are located on-or-off your premises

Loss of use coverage

Covers the cost of additional living expenses if your mobile home becomes temporarily uninhabitable

Personal liability coverage

Covers the cost of legal or medical expenses if you're found at-fault for property damage or bodily injury

Medical expenses to others

Pays for minor injuries if a guest is hurt while in your mobile home, regardless of who was at fault

Collapse table

Ready to shop home insurance?

What perils does HO-7 insurance cover?

HO-7 insurance protects your mobile home and personal property in the event either are damaged by a covered peril in your policy. Some common risks that mobile homes are exposed to that are covered include:

  • Fire or lightning

  • Windstorm or hail

  • Smoke damage

  • Vandalism

  • Theft

  • Accidental discharge or overflow of water or steam

  • Weight of ice, sleet, or snow

  • Freezing of plumbing

  • Falling objects

  • Damage caused by a vehicle (not your own)

  • Riots or unlawful commotion

If your mobile or manufactured home is damaged by any covered peril, you can file a claim with your homeowners insurance company and be reimbursed for the damage up to your policy’s limit.

What types of mobile homes are covered by HO-7 insurance?

HO-7 insurance is designed to protect homes that were manufactured in a factory. Below are the different types of mobile homes covered by HO-7 insurance:

  • Single-wide manufactured and single-wide mobile homes

  • Double-wide manufactured and double-wide mobile homes

  • Modular homes

  • Sectional homes

  • Trailers, travel trailers, fifth-wheel trailers

  • Park model homes and certain types of RVs

  • Some types of stationary tiny houses

The age, size, and build of your manufactured home will affect the price of your mobile home insurance rates.

What does an HO-7 policy not cover?

In addition to the perils it does cover, your HO-7 policy will also include a list of excluded perils. Below are a few risks mobile home insurance does not cover:

  • Flood damage

  • Earthquake, sinkholes, or any type of earth movement

  • Maintenance issues or damage that occurs over time

  • Neglect or normal wear and tear

  • Power failure

  • Intentional loss

Most HO-7 also won’t cover your mobile home if it is damaged while in transit. Depending on your insurance company, you may be able to add an endorsement to your policy to protect your mobile home while it’s being transported from one location to another.

Additional coverage considerations for an HO-7 policy

Insurance companies offer additional coverage that you can add to your HO-7 policy for extra protection. In some instances, you may need to purchase a totally separate policy in addition to or instead of an HO-7 policy.

Secondary mobile home insurance

If your mobile home serves as a seasonal or vacation home, you’ll need a secondary or vacation mobile home insurance policy. Insurance companies charge more for secondary homes since they’re often vacant throughout the year, which makes them riskier to insure. Homes that are unoccupied for extended periods of time are more likely to be burgled or suffer sustained damage, like from a burst pipe or fire.

Short term rental coverage or landlord insurance

If you rent out your mobile home, your insurance company may require you to add short term rental coverage to your HO-7 policy. If you rent your mobile home out on a full-time basis, you’ll need a landlord insurance policy instead, which is a policy designed for homeowners who rent out their property as a source of income.

Flood insurance

Your homeowners insurance policy won’t cover flooding, so if you live in an area that’s at risk for flooding you should consider purchasing flood insurance, a separate policy that insures your mobile or manufactured home against flood damage. Most flood insurance policies are administered through the NFIP (National Flood Insurance Program) and can be bought through the same insurance company that insures your mobile home. You can also buy flood insurance through the private marketplace.