Log home insurance: What you need to know

If you own a log home, you’ll need to protect it with homeowners insurance. If you use it as a vacation home, you’ll need vacation or secondary home insurance.

If you own a log cabin, you’ll want to make sure it’s properly covered with homeowners insurance. Homeowners insurance covers damage like fire, break-ins, bad weather, and other potential risks to your cabin.

Log homes are generally more expensive to insure because they’re constructed with expensive lumber or timber, and insurers consider them to be higher risk since they are often located in remote, hard-to-reach locations. If your log cabin is located in a hard-to-reach area with a less accessible road, for example, it’d be more difficult for a fire department or ambulance to arrive quickly.

Log home insurance may also be more expensive if the cabin serves as a vacation or seasonal home, not your primary residence. Vacation homes tend to cost more to insure because they are vacant for longer periods of time, which increases the risk of break-ins and sustained damage from leaks or bad weather.

Key Takeaways

  • You should protect your log cabin with a comprehensive homeowners insurance policy. If the cabin isn’t your primary residence, you’ll need a more specialized policy like vacation home insurance

  • Secondary homes typically cost more to insure since they’re frequently unoccupied and susceptible to theft and sustained property damage from a fire or storm

  • Where your log home is located, how close it is to a fire department, and the type of building materials it’s made up of can all affect home insurance rates

Does homeowners insurance cover log homes?

Most homeowners insurance companies will cover log and timber homes, however your rates to be higher than the average home insurance premium. Insurance companies consider log homes to be riskier to insure due to their expensive building materials and their isolated locations. If your cabin is a secondary home, you should make sure to tell your insurance company — your insurer may have grounds to cancel your coverage if you don’t disclose this information.

Below are the coverage components of a standard homeowners policy:

  • Dwelling coverage - Covers your home from perils like fire, windstorm, hail, theft, and vandalism. You should have enough dwelling coverage to fully rebuild your cabin from the ground up

  • Other structures coverage - Protects other structures on your property, like a shed or detached garage, from property damage

  • Personal property coverage - Helps pay to repair or replace personal property damaged by a covered peril. Also protects your belongings from theft, both on and off your property

  • Loss of use coverage - Pays for additional living expenses if your log cabin becomes uninhabitable due to a covered loss

  • Liability coverage - Covers legal and medical expenses in the event you’re found at fault for property damage or bodily injury

  • Medical expenses coverage - Helps pay for the medical expenses for minor injuries if a guest is hurt in your home

Get the right advice, right here.

No sweaty sales pitches. Just unbiased advice from licensed experts.

Are log homes more expensive to insure?

There are several factors specific to log homes that can impact your home insurance rates. Below are a few of those.

1. Your log cabin is a secondary residence 

If your log cabin isn’t your primary residence, your insurance rates will be higher. Vacation and seasonal homes are generally riskier to insure since they are unoccupied more often, which leaves them more susceptible to break-ins and sustained damage from a leak, fire, or pest infestation.

2. Location 

Where your log cabin is located will affect your rates. If your cabin is located in an area that experiences frequent blizzards or ice storms, for example, your premiums may be more expensive. Your cabin’s proximity to a fire department or fire hydrant may impact your rates as well.

3. Construction materials 

The construction materials or type of logs used to build your cabin may affect your home insurance rates. Timber and other wood materials are typically given a fire-resistance rating, which your insurer may take into consideration.

4. Extra features 

Your rates may be higher if your log cabin contains extra features, like a hot tub or pool, because they carry liability risk.

Additional coverage for a log home

You may want to consider adding additional coverage to your home policy to fully protect your log cabin.

Builders risk insurance

If you’re building a log cabin from the ground up, or making large renovations to your cabin, you’ll want to protect the construction materials with builders risk insurance. Builders risk insurance can help protect the building materials of your cabin in the event it is damaged during the construction period.

Learn more about how builders risk insurance works

Extended replacement cost

You should have enough dwelling coverage to cover your home’s replacement cost, not its market value. Extended replacement cost increases your cabin’s insured value an additional 25% or 50%, and is an essential coverage add-on if your cabin is located in an area that experiences severe weather.

Short term rental coverage or landlord insurance

If your cabin is a vacation property that you rent out every so often, you should consider short term rental coverage to protect your home from damage or theft while it’s rented out. If you rent your cabin out on a full-time basis, you’ll need landlord insurance.

Personal umbrella policy

Personal umbrella insurance can help cover expensive liability claims that exceed your policy’s liability coverage limit. These policies are typically sold in increments of $1 million and go up to $5 million. If your combined assets — like your log cabin, primary residence, car, and retirement savings — exceed your home liability limit, you should consider umbrella insurance.

Flood insurance

Homeowners insurance doesn’t cover flood damage. If your log cabin is located in an area that’s at risk of flooding, consider purchasing a standalone flood insurance policy.

How to save on log home insurance

Depending on your insurance company, your log home may qualify for homeowners insurance discounts. You may receive a discount if you install a burglar alarm system, or fire-proof your cabin. Some other common home insurance discounts include:

  • Multi-policy discounts

  • Loyalty discounts

  • Bundling discounts

  • Claims free discounts

You may also want to consider re-shopping your log home insurance annually to make sure you’re not missing out on a better deal with a different company.