More on Home Insurance

Shopping for Home Insurance

How to buy homeowners insurance

Hazard insurance vs homeowners insurance

How to change homeowners insurance when you have an escrow account

When changing homeowners insurance that is paid through an escrow account, inform your mortgage servicer so that your escrow funds are paying your new policy premiums.

Pat Howard 1600

Pat Howard

Published June 4, 2020


  • Your escrow account pays your property taxes, private mortgage insurance, and home insurance

  • If you make a down payment of less than 20%, your lender may require an escrow account

  • Switching homeowners insurance when you have an escrow account is fairly easy

  • If you change homeowners insurance that’s paid through escrow, notify your lender

To keep your homeowners insurance policy active, or in force, you pay monthly or annual premiums to your insurance company. Your insurer generally accepts payments in one of two ways: either directly from you, or through an escrow account established by your lender.

Escrow accounts are set up by your lender to pay for various obligations like property taxes, private mortgage insurance, and homeowners insurance. Under escrow terms, you make a single monthly payment to your lender. A portion of this payment goes toward your monthly mortgage payment, while the rest goes toward your escrow account, which your lender uses to pay your aforementioned obligations. Escrow accounts are generally required by lenders if the down payment on your home is less than 20% of the home’s selling price, but you also have the option of setting up an account when it’s not required.

Escrow accounts make home insurance payments a pretty hands-off process for homeowners, but the thought of changing insurance when it’s being paid through an escrow account may seem daunting. However, the process of changing policies, even when payments are being made through an escrow account, is fairly simple.


How do escrow accounts work?

An escrow account is where your lender deposits a portion of your mortgage payment to pay for property taxes, private mortgage insurance, and homeowners insurance. Your bill will very clearly state how much of your payment is going toward paying off the house and how much is going into your escrow account.

Take a $2,000 mortgage bill, for instance. A portion of this bill, say, $1,500, goes toward paying the principal and interest on the home. The remaining $500 is your escrow payment, and that amounts to a portion of what you owe in insurance and property taxes for the year.

Every year, your lender will conduct an escrow review and adjust your escrow payment based on your insurance and property tax rate changes. That means if your property taxes and home insurance are set to increase by $800 this year, your escrow payments would increase by about $67 per month.

Your lender will then send you an escrow review statement that explains how much your insurance and property taxes went up. If you’re unhappy with your recent home insurance rate increases, you may be able to find lower rates with a different company.

Do I have to pay homeowners insurance through escrow?

When you take out a mortgage on a home and your down payment is less than 20%, there’s a good chance that your lender will require you put money into an escrow account to pay for homeowners insurance and property taxes. Since lenders require homeowners insurance anyway, an escrow account ensures that the payments are being made and their investment is properly protected.


Get the right advice, right here.

No sweaty sales pitches. Just unbiased advice from licensed experts.

How do you change homeowners insurance when you have an escrow account?

Switching homeowners insurance that is paid through an escrow account isn’t any harder than if you were paying for insurance directly, but there are a few more variables to consider. Take the following policy switch example:

  • You switch insurance companies six months into a $1,000 annual policy term and the policy you switched to is considerably cheaper
  • Your last policy has already been paid in full — but luckily, insurance terms are prorated
  • Since you only lasted half your $1,000 policy term, you’d be issued a $500 refund check
  • Your insurance company will give you the option of either putting the funds into your escrow account or pocketing the refund

If you’re thinking about switching to a new company, you should also have an understanding of what each involved party — you, the insurance company, and the lender — need to do to get your new insurance up and running.

Have your current policy information on hand

When re-shopping your homeowners insurance, you’ll want to have your current policy and mortgage information on hand so that the new insurance company can incorporate the coverages, limits, and mortgage account information into your new policy. Whatever changes in coverage need to be made generally occur after the insurance adjuster pays you a visit.

Contact your insurance company to cancel your current policy

As soon as you have a start date for your next policy, contact your current insurer and let them know you won’t be renewing your policy — they’ll want to know when the new policy starts and when you’d like your current policy to end. To safeguard against any lapses in coverage, you may want to play it safe and choose an end date that overlaps with your next policy’s start date.

Once you cancel your old policy, the insurance company may send both you and your mortgage company a cancellation notice confirming an end date to your policy. If it was a paid-in-full policy and you canceled it before renewal, the insurance company will issue you a refund check for the prorated amount.

Meanwhile, your new insurer will send your mortgage company proof of insurance, which may include the policy declarations page or an insurance binder, which is a legal document stating that the policy is in force from a specified start to end date.

Notify your mortgage servicer of the switch

Since your insurance is being paid through an escrow account, you’ll want to notify your lender when you have a start date for the new policy so they know to stop making payments to your old insurer. However, the new insurance company may contact your lender on your behalf, and most of the cancellation and proof of insurance work is done by the insurer and your mortgage company.

Let your mortgage company do the rest

Once you’ve officially switched policies and you have a start date, the bank will update your escrow account with your new policy information and pay your insurance.

Keep in mind that during this time, your escrow account may incur a shortage, or maybe you’ll have an overage, so your monthly mortgage payments may fluctuate based on your account standing.

Looking to switch insurers? Call and speak with a licensed representative at Policygenius, who can cancel your old policy, request a prorated refund if you paid for your old policy in advance, and get your new policy set up with your escrow account.

Does changing homeowners insurance cost any money?

Canceling your old policy in the middle of its term and getting a new policy generally doesn’t cost you any added fees. On the rare occasion, insurance companies may charge you a cancellation fee for a small amount, like $25.

Your mortgage company may also charge you a processing fee when they set up your new insurance information and recalculate your payments, but most large banks generally won’t charge you.

Keep in mind that escrow accounts in general may cost you more than if you were just paying your insurance premiums and taxes out of pocket. That’s because banks tend to pad your account with additional funds to prevent your account from shorting in the event of unexpected insurance and tax increases, so you’ll often pay more into escrow than what you actually owe for insurance and taxes.

By law, your bank can’t pad your account with more than two months of taxes and two months of insurance, so if it's determined during your escrow review that your account has more than that, then you’re entitled to a surplus check at the conclusion of the review period.

On the contrary, your new policy may cost you more than your old policy. If that's the case and you cancel your old policy early, check with your mortgage company to see if your account has enough funds to avoid a shortage.

About the author

Insurance Expert

Pat Howard

Insurance Expert

Pat Howard is an Insurance Editor at Policygenius in New York City, specializing in homeowners insurance. He has been featured on Property Casualty 360, MSN, and more. Pat has a B.A. in journalism from Michigan State University.

Policygenius’ editorial content is not written by an insurance agent. It’s intended for informational purposes and should not be considered legal or financial advice. Consult a professional to learn what financial products are right for you.

Was this article helpful?