My renters insurance policy mentions "additional living expenses". What are those?


PolicyGenius Admin

PolicyGenius Admin

Blog author PolicyGenius Admin

Published April 22, 2015

Policygenius content follows strict guidelines for editorial accuracy and integrity. Learn about our

editorial standards


how we make money.

Additional living expenses (also called loss of usage) describe the expenses you incur if you are forced to leave your home. For example, if you have to stay in a hotel because of a fire in your home, your policy may cover the cost of the hotel and meals as additional living expenses.