Term Life Insurance
Prudential’s application process is average, with a quick turnaround time in the beginning of the process, but they require an extra phone interview with an underwriter during the final application. Their customer service is above average, with many actions available online. Prudential is best in class for underwriting applications with complicated medical histories, including cancer, CAD, and diabetes.
Basics & Ratings
JD PowerJ.D. Power and Associates is a global marketing information services firm that conducts surveys of customer satisfaction, product quality, and buyer behavior.
3 out of 5
PolicyholdersThis is how many active US life insurance customers this company insures
A.M. BestA.M. Best is an independent rating agency that evaluates the financial strength of insurance companies. Ratings as of May 2016, on a scale from A++ to D
BBB RatingBetter Business Bureau (BBB) is a non-profit that collects consumer feedback on businesses around the country.
Is Prudential a good match for your health?
Each insurer approaches health conditions differently. One insurer might ignore a heart attack from a few years ago, whereas a different insurer might rate you as a higher risk for the same thing. Here are the details of how Prudential treats a variety of common health conditions from an underwriting perspective.
|Recent Weight Loss||Excellent|
|Former Tobacco Use||Excellent|
|High Blood Pressure||Good|
- Excellent - Above average; company provides excellent coverage for clients with this condition.
- Good - Spot on; company doesn’t look at this condition unfavorably in underwriting.
- Fair - Could use some work; clients with this condition may be issued a lower health rating, and subsequently higher rates than other insurers.
$500,000, 20-year term life insurance policy for healthy, nonsmoking individuals, in California, monthly premiums
|Company||Plan||age 30||age 40||age 50||age 30||age 40||age 50|
|Mutual of Omaha||Term Life Answers||$21.66||$33.47||$85.53||$23.41||$28.66||$64.09|
|Pacific Life||Pacific PRIME Term||$20.84||$29.59||$77.09||$19.18||$26.68||$61.67|
|Protective||Custom Choice UL||$20.37||$28.91||$76.82||$17.93||$25.25||$55.75|
|Prudential||Return of Premium Term||$101.00||$143.62||$291.99||$88.12||$130.04||$253.37|
|SBLI||Level Premium Term||$21.32||$40.05||$96.06||$24.48||$34.71||$65.87|
Minimum amount available
10, 15, 20, 30
Discount for paying annually versus monthly
Payment methods available
Check; Auto bank draft; No credit cards accepted
Is coverage available without a medical exam?
Is temporary coverage during underwriting available?
Yes, up to $1,000,000.
- Accidental death benefit: pays an additional death benefit if your death is a direct result of an accident.
- Children's protection rider: you can get life insurance for all children (ages 15 days - 18 years old) in one rider. Available coverage of $10,000 - $100,000.
- Waiver of premium: premiums are waived if you become disabled.
- Living Needs Benefit (included at no extra cost): advances part of the death benefit if you've been confined to a nursing home for 6 months and are expected to be in the nursing home permanently or you've been diagnosed with a terminal illness with a max life expectancy of 6 months.
What is the rule for accelerating the death benefit?
The Living Needs Benefit (included at no extra cost) pays out a portion of benefit upon terminal illness diagnosis.
What is the rule for converting the policy?
The policy is convertible to the lesser of level premium period (LPP) or to the first policy anniversary on or after your 65th birthday, but at least 5 years. Partial conversions are permitted.
This policy, like all term life policies offered on our site, provides life coverage for a specific period of time (the term). The key features of this policy are standard across all the term policies we offer:
The review on this page is only for this company's term life insurance products.
Other Term Life Insurance Companies
Need more info? Visit our Life Insurance Learning Center
Life Insurance 101
What it is, what is covers, and what it's for.
Here's what to expect, from buying a policy to making a claim.
We've done the research for you.
Term vs Whole Life
All about the two different types of life insurance.
Real Life Stories
People buy life insurance for a variety of reasons.