Can you file a single insurance claim for home and car damage?

If your home and car are damaged in the same event, you’ll have to file two separate insurance claims. But if you bundle your home and car insurance, you may only need to pay one deductible for the damage.

Policygenius content follows strict guidelines for editorial accuracy and integrity. Learn about our editorial standards and how we make money.

If your home is damaged in a storm or you get into a car accident, you need to file a home or auto insurance claim to be reimbursed for the loss. If the insurance company determines the cause of the damage is covered by your policy, they’ll send you a damage estimate, you’ll pay your deductible, and you’ll get an insurance payout.

But what if your home and car are damaged in the same event? Do you still need to file separate claims and pay two deductibles or is there a more streamlined process? Well, yes and no.

If you have homeowners insurance and car insurance through two different providers, you’ll need to file two separate claims with the individual companies servicing each respective policy. However, many insurance companies offer home and auto insurance bundles that include various perks, including single-deductible claims, meaning you only have to make one out-of-pocket payment if your home and car were damaged in the same event.

Key Takeaways

  • If your home and car are both damaged in a storm, you’ll have to file separate home and auto insurance claims

  • If you bundle your home and auto insurance with the same insurer, you may only need pay one deductible for losses involving your home and car

  • Also known as single-deductible claims, this policy feature is only available through certain insurance companies

Filing a home and car insurance claim with separate insurers

If your house and car are damaged in the same event but you get your home and auto insurance through separate carriers — maybe you get your homeowners insurance through Travelers and your car insurance through Progressive — you’ll need to reach out to those two insurers individually to file a home and auto insurance claim for the damages.

Any covered damage to the structure of your home is covered under the dwelling coverage portion of your homeowners insurance policy. Dwelling coverage is the section of your policy that reimburses you for damage to the home itself.

If the covered event was a windstorm that caused a tree to fall through your car and destroy your laptop and other personal belongings in the vehicle, you’d file a claim for damage to those items under the personal property coverage section of your home insurance, not your auto insurance.

The damage to your car, however, would be covered by the comprehensive coverage section of your auto insurance. Though comprehensive coverage is technically optional, most standard “full coverage” auto insurance policies include it to cover your car against things like theft, fallen trees, and natural disasters. (Basically any damage to your car not caused by a collision.)

Comprehensive coverage is typically required for people who finance their cars. But it’s a good idea to add this coverage to your policy even if you own the car outright, as long as your premiums aren’t worth more than the vehicle itself.

If the claims are approved by your respective insurance companies, you’ll receive damage estimates from your home and car insurance providers. Once you’ve agreed to settlement amounts for the respective claims, you’ll pay separate deductibles and receive payout checks that you can use to repair or replace the damaged property.

Ready to shop home insurance?

Start calculator

Filing a home and auto insurance bundle claim

Most larger insurance companies that sell both home and auto insurance will package the two types of financial protection into a “bundle”. There are many benefits to bundling your home and car insurance, including a multi-policy discount, only having one bill, having a single point of contact for policy-related questions, and in some cases, single-deductible insurance claims.

With single-deductible claims, if your home and car are damaged in the same event, such as the aforementioned windstorm or possibly even a days-long wildfire, you only have to pay one deductible for the two claims. Some examples of covered perils that could damage your home and car in the same event include:

  • Hurricanes

  • Wildfires

  • Windstorms

  • House fires

  • Roof collapse due to snow or ice

  • Vandalism

  • Burglary

Which insurance companies offer single-deductible claims?

Keep in mind that the single-deductible claim policy feature isn’t available for every policyholder who bundles their home and car insurance. Some insurers simply don’t offer this perk, and with some companies it can vary from state to state.

But if you get your home and car insurance through any of the following companies, you’ll likely be saving time and money when it comes time to file a simultaneous claim for home and car damage.