Weekend Reads: Video game healthcare, debt jail, and paper
Policygenius content follows strict guidelines for editorial accuracy and integrity. Learn about oureditorial standards
and how we make money.
Will shuttering Obamacare affect your favorite video games? Would you go to jail to get rid of your debt? Is paper the newest, greatest app? Find out in our Weekend Reads!
Health insurance open enrollment is almost over! (Don't worry if you aren't seeing ads for it anymore, that's just politics.) The ACA has given millions of people access to health insurance, and it might be responsible for some of your favorite indie video games, too. Crashlands, Octodad, Firewatch, and countless other critically-acclaimed games were made possible because these smaller studios, who can't provide the same benefits as large game companies, could let their employees shop on the open marketplace for their own health insurance. This Vice article is a great look at some great games and, more importantly, the people behind those games, and is a real life look at the possibilities that having health insurance affords us all.
Hey! Are you a fan of The Wire or Oz or Orange is the New Black? Do you want to get rid of your debt? Do we have a deal for you! According to an Acorns survey, 10% of Millennials would go to jail for a week to get rid of $10,000 dollars of debt. I assume the other 90% know that prison isn't a TV show and you should just, like, make a budget or something. Oh, speaking of, only 25% of Millennials have a monthly budget. I'd love to see how these numbers stack up against other demographics so this doesn't become a "kill the snake people!" situation, but in the meantime check out the survey and get into the mind of a twenty-something.
Still trying to get started on those resolutions? Maybe try taking it old school with paper. We work differently with paper than we do with tech and apps, and you might find yourself a little more concentrated, a little more motivated, and a little more successful. Take Amy Jones, who visualized her debt on paper and paid off $26,000 in half the expected time, and launched a business out of it. The rise of Moleskine and "bullet journaling" show that it's not just hipsters who are going back to paper. If you're struggling to lose that first pound or save that first dollar, crack open a journal. What have you got to lose? Maybe just weight and debt.Image: Forbes
Get essential money news & money moves with the Easy Money newsletter.
Free in your inbox each Friday.