There is a floater (or rider or endorsement) on my renters insurance policy. What does that mean?


PolicyGenius Admin

Published April 21, 2015

A floater, also called a rider or endorsement, is an optional component you can add to your policy to protect property that might otherwise be excluded from coverage. Some examples would be a floater to protect jewelry, or an endorsement to raise the dollar limit for your laptop and computer equipment, or a rider to protect a valuable piece of art. Floaters cost extra, but they don't typically increase your deductible.

Fun fact: the term "floater" is used because this kind of insurance was originally created to protect property while it was being transported over water.

Get essential money news & money moves with the Easy Money newsletter.

Free in your inbox each Friday.

Easy Money phones image