Social Security is running out. Here's how to deal
Policygenius content follows strict guidelines for editorial accuracy and integrity. Learn about oureditorial standards
and how we make money.
It may be time to start planning on retiring without Social Security.
The Social Security Board of Trustees projects that Social Security’s trust fund reserves will run out by 2035. If the reserves are depleted, tax income will only be able to fund 80% of scheduled benefits starting in 2035. Americans who are eligible for Social Security in 2035 may only have access to a portion of their benefits, according to the report.
The Social Security combined trust funds are made up of the Old-Age and Survivors Insurance Trust Fund, which pays out retirement benefits, and the Disability Insurance Trust Fund, which pays out disability benefits. (You can learn more about them here.)
“A 25% drop is significant especially if it is your primary source of income,” said Devin Pope, certified financial planner at Albion Financial Group.
Total Social Security benefits are expected to exceed the program’s cost in 2020, as fewer people are putting money into Social Security through taxes and more are taking it out through benefits. Some experts like Pope expect government changes to be made to the program before 2035 that will prevent the funds from becoming exhausted. But you should still prepare for a worst-case scenario.
If you’re still working and are worried about the potential reduction, start making adjustments now. First check to see how much is in your Social Security. You can check online.
Practice spending only 75% of your paycheck. Save the remaining 25% and for emergencies and other expenses, said Pope. Also consider putting more money into your 401(k). In 2019, the IRS allows those up to age 50 to contribute as much as $19,000 to a 401(k).
“This will help adjust your lifestyle to what your income could be,” he said.
Adopting smart investing strategies can help grow your nest egg. Here’s a guide on how to get started with investing.
Want more money news in your inbox? Sign up for the Policygenius newsletter.
Image: Dominik Lange
Get essential money news & money moves with the Easy Money newsletter.
Free in your inbox each Friday.