How to get the best car insurance after a DUI


Robyn Parets

Robyn Parets

Blog author Robyn Parets

Robyn Parets is a personal finance and business writer based in Boston. A former writer for Investor's Business Daily (IBD) and NerdWallet, Robyn is also the founder and owner of Pretzel Kids, a children's fitness brand and online training course. You can find her on Twitter @RobynParets.

Published March 1, 2016|3 min read

Policygenius content follows strict guidelines for editorial accuracy and integrity. Learn about our

editorial standards


how we make money.
News article image

Updated March 19, 2019: If you get pulled over for drinking and driving, you may be staring down a future suspended driver’s license and a rough road filled with court appearances and fines. You may also find that your auto insurance company will drop you or that you will need to pay higher rates for insurance coverage.

One big mistake can cost you a lot. This is why, if you find yourself in this unfortunate position, it’s a good idea to shop around for the lowest possible insurance rates. (Policygenius can help you compare rates.) And if you lose your driver’s license, it’s important to know that you often cannot get it reinstated without proof of insurance.

What you need to know about insurance when you have a DUI

A conviction for driving under the influence or driving while intoxicated (DUI or DWI) can directly impact your insurance rates. That’s because the DUI becomes part of your driving record and insurers will often consider you a high-risk driver. This means the amount you pay for insurance will go up, sometimes markedly so. In some cases, your current insurance company won’t renew your coverage at all or you will be denied coverage by a new insurer due to your driving violation.

To give you a sense of how much more it will cost you for insurance after a DUI, we ran some numbers using a hypothetical scenario with a 35-year-old male living in Massachusetts and driving a 2013 Ford SUV about 15,000 to 25,000 miles per year. We took into consideration that this man currently carried Progressive insurance and was seeking basic insurance coverage, which would include: $50k/$100k bodily injury, $25k property damage, $50k/$100k uninsured motorist coverage, a $500 deductible, and some other coverages.

With a clean driving record, our hypothetical insurance seeker got the following top three quotes from an online quoting engine. These are ranked in order of cost with the least expensive listed first:

  1. Commerce: $73/month

  2. Amica: $83/month

  3. Progressive: $91/month

When adding in a DUI for alcohol in January 2016, the least expensive options for the same coverage are now:

  1. Progressive: $108/month

  2. Hanover: $153/month

  3. Commerce: $160/month

The rates vary but are all higher with a DUI. Progressive, which was the current carrier under this scenario, rose the least, but this man would be paying about double for other options when compared to the same coverage with a clean driving record. This is why it’s important to shop around — especially when a DUI may be setting you back financially in more ways than just insurance.

Want your license back?

In some states you may need both proof of insurance and a certificate of financial responsibility to get your license back. Typically these statements of responsibility are called SR-22 forms, or FR-44 in Virginia and Florida. Either the court or your state department of motor vehicles will notify you that you need this.

You can file the form manually through your state, or your insurance provider may be able to electronically file it for you. The filing cost is around $25. Depending on the type of DUI offense, an SR-22 or FR-44 will typically remain on file for two or three years.

Got more money questions? Get answers by signing up for the Policygenius newsletter.

Image: why kei